Are Flea Bites Really Something to Worry About?
A common question is, “If my dog has fleas, can this truly hurt him?”
The answer is absolutely yes!
Fleas on a dog are not just an irritating nuisance, they are much more than that.
They may be irritating for people, but it is a whole different ball game when it comes to your dog and fleas.
Many dogs are allergic to the saliva in flea bites.
This can cause inflammation, rash, severe itching, and hair loss. And this can be from just one bite!
Even if your Golden Retriever is not allergic to the actual bite, these pests multiply and multiply and multiply!
And they tend to pretty much live on our dogs, whereas they don't live on humans.
They gather into one spot and keep feeding there until that spot becomes an open sore.
The dog scratches the sore, trying to make the biting stop, which only makes it worse, and gives an even easier opening for them to get to.
This then progresses to secondary skin infections, which will not go away on their own.
Your Golden is not able to keep them off of him, because as soon as he is done scratching, they simply run right back to where they were and dig in again.
The same holds true for giving him a flea bath. They will simply hop off of your dog, then hop right back on, to continue their feeding frenzy.
And even if some of the adults are killed, their eggs will still be hatching for more to attack and take their place.
Tapeworm, which is an intestinal parasite, is caused by fleas. They get ingested when your Golden tries to bite them off of him and swallows some.
Then you have a whole different set of problems.
They truly are more than just a nuisance, they can potentially pose very serious health problems for your Golden Retriever.
The best treatment for killing fleas is to use a topical flea preventative, as that kills all stages of development and breaks the flea's life cycle.
Until the life cycle is broken, these parasites will continue to thrive.